Friday, April 04, 2008

Seven things

Michael Reynolds has tagged me with a meme. Here it goes:

1. Link to the person who tagged you

2. Post the rules here

3. Share 7 random or weird facts about yourself.

*1. I see the alphabet in colors. Seriously.
*2. The day before the start of seventh grade, I clunked my head on a playground and had to have it stapled up. Yes, stapled, not stitched. For several years after the fact I treated it as the most interesting thing about myself.
*3. I'm currently reading a biography of H. P. Lovecraft, and being made to feel inadequate because I didn't become a prolific, locally recognized science writer by the end of high school.
*4. On the other hand, I have already written an entire book and gotten a number of editors and agents to ignore it.
*5. Recently got the idea of reading every entry in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy over the course of the next couple of years. Then realized no purpose would be served by this exercise.
*6. I keep my books organized by sticking mailing labels on them with Library of Congress call numbers.
*7. I was recently hit with a blog meme by a kid lit author who's books I read an awful lot of in middle school.

4. Tag 7 random people at the end of the post, linking to them.

*1. Vjack
*2. The Barefoot Bum
*3. Vastleft
*4. Hemant Mehta
*5. Greta Christina
*6. Karl
*7. Richard Chappell

5. Leave a comment on their blog so that they know they’ve been tagged.

9 comments:

Alonzo Fyfe said...

The condition under which one sees letters or numbers as colors is called 'synesthesia' and it has been empirically confirmed. I had call to write a bit about it in a recent blog posting at Atheist Ethicist:

E2.0: V.S. Ramachandran: Bridging Humanities and Science

Hallq said...

Yeah, I've known that for some time. When I first heard about it, my response was "you mean not everybody sees the alphabet in colors?"

Locke said...

Sorry, but you are entirely misdirected about what a 'meme' is. A survey or chain letter or pass-me-on or whatever this is has no relation to the word. In order to not look silly or foolish, you should research terms before using them. You can't make something a meme just by declaring it so, and if this was one, it would be instantly recognized and occur regularly in the social consciousness in various forms. All your base are belong to us and LOLcats are memes, 'list 7 weird things about yourself' is a survey at best, and a piece of unsolicited spam chainmail at worst.

Hallq said...

In order not to look silly or foolish, you should try not to be a stickler about the use of internet slang.

Michael Reynolds said...

Did you first experience #2 before or after #1?

#3? There's always some jerk making us all look bad. For me it's Stephen King. Better and faster. I can handle one, but both is just irritating.

#4. The sound of your writer cherry being popped. More to come. Much, much more. They have to break you before they'll publish you.

#5. Demonstrating, perhaps, that you got the point of all that philosophizing?

#6. There are some things you shouldn't reveal. People will talk.

#7. And yet you got into college?

Loving wife, slightly hysterical mother said...

Hi, not to be a pedant or anything vaguely similar but I responded to dear Locke in my blog, it seems she is making it her mission to educate us poor 'old' fools.

I have of course linked back to her and given her the opportunity to respond but I thought that since I have a night off from the kids, I'd be sad and see if I could distribute the link :-)

I didn't for one minute think that it would lead me back to a blog completely in line with my own belief structure so thanks Locke :-)

http://amotherspride.blogspot.com/2008/04/meme-is-meme-is-meme-or-is-it.html

Amy

Allan Kent said...

I too have felt the wrath. I loved your response and so didn't bother with mine.

http://mediafrenzy.wordpress.com/2008/02/23/order-by-rand-limit-7/

I have come to terms with his criticism though, partly because I don't give a toss, but mostly because I have now found this blog.

kldickson said...

Locke, in fact, has a point. Look up Richard Dawkins' definition of the word 'meme'.

cheap wow gold said...

cheap wow gold buy wow power leveling cheap cheap wow gold