Monday, December 11, 2006

Second reply to Carrier

I've dropped the following comment at the relevant thread on Richard Carrier's blog:
I may try to get in a fuller response later, but I'm currently in the middle of the run-up to final exams here in Madison, so let me just deal with one key issue: circularity. I do not claim to have found a non-circular epistemology. Nor am I reading Carrier as to say we need absolute deductive certainty to believe anything. The fact that he's merely demanding some kind of justification is problematic enough. The reason is that not only to circular arguments not provide an absolute deductive justification, they do not, as a rule, provide any sort of justification at all. Therefore, if as Carrier says all epistemologies are circular, then he cannot meet his own requirement that, "we can believe nothing without justification."
For those of you who haven't followed the debate up until now, you'll want to read these posts:
On Carrier's epistemology, part 1
On Carrier's epistemology, part 2
Reply to Richard Carrrier

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments: