Monday, October 02, 2006

I'll need time to digest this

Today, I stumbled upon a post at Thoughts from Kansas with two important links:

First, a post at Balkinization on what the military detainee bill does to U.S. citizens. I was aware that it involved an unfortunate compromise on torture; I was not aware that it increased the government's ability to detain U.S. citizens. This is disturbing.

Second, Coturnix has a roundup under the title we are now officially living in a dictatorship. I have not had the time to read through every post he links, but one paragraph sears into my mind:
Many of my friends and neighbors have not experienced, like I did in Yugoslavia of the late 1980s and early 1990s, the gradual transformation from a nice, sweet, proseprous, freedom-loving country into a bunch of thugs duking it out over land and religion. Tito was dead for ten years. Prime Minister was Ante Markovic. Thousands of small businesses were starting up every week. Small people were getting rich. There was ebullience in the air.

Then, in a manner eerily reminiscent of BuchCo, thugs like Milosevic, Tudjman and Izetbegovic hijacked the government and started a civil war, ending with a break up of one big strong country into six small, economically weak and dependent units.
Awhile ago I remember seeing something about a historian who witnessed the rise of the Nazis seeing parallels between America today. I'm truly frightened.

UPDATE: I'll be voting solidly democratic for some time to come. I know, McCain has writeen a WSJ piece arguing arguing it isn't so bad, but he should no better than to trust Bush--hell, to trust a politician, to not abuse vague language.

No comments: