Friday, February 17, 2006

Smile! There is no hell.

I've talked about the evangelists that swarm the streets of Madison. Today, I went out to parody the sign-holders:

These pictures were taken by a random woman who saw my sign and liked it (I had her e-mail them to me). Another guy took pictures as well, maybe I should have given him my e-mail adress too. He said he got the other guys in the background. That would have been nice to have, though I think the guy in the blue cap in the first picture was one of them.

It was a great time. In addition to the people who took pictures, I got high-fives, thank-yous, two hugs, and more smiles than I could count. I wasn't sure what the evangelists would do at first. Shortly after I arrived, one of them began preaching about hell; I kinda felt that the whole thing was directed at me. He talked a lot about mocking God. I did get a couple of direct references. At one point, he asked, "who are you going to believe, the Bible, which is 2000 years old, or the sign of that young man, who's maybe 18 years old?" I thought of going up to ask him, "who would you rather trust, Ptolmey or Stephen Hawking?" I didn't ask this, however, because it would be hard to hold up my sign and dialogue at the same time. I think this was a good idea in retrospect, because for all I knew, they believed that the Earth does stand still. Like these guys. At another point, he said that there are agents of Satan about, and one of them was standing right there (i.e. me). At that point, I couldn't help but laugh histerically.

Next time, I may get a partner, so one of us can read something. Perhaps I'll use Bertrand Russell's Sceptical Essays.

EDIT: Here is the source for the sign's design.

13 comments:

Paul said...

Don't be fooled by that website with the geocentrism challenge. They don't actually believe the Earth is the centre of the universe. They are just making a statement about their belief that Randi will always be able to talk his way out of paying out the million. I'd just ignore them, as you cannot possibly talk your way around them, nor can you get their goat.

Hallq said...

Actually, I don't think they give a rat's ass about Randi's challenge. This issue came up at Pharyngula awhile back, and his Wikipedia entry was cited as proof they really do believe it. Make of it what you will.

John W. Loftus said...

My God, you are a zealot, aren't you? That's just way to cool.

sybil said...

praisethelord for the Gutsy Uncredible. Hallq rox.

Hey, what about a freeway blogger type campaign?

Hallq said...

Freeway blogger? What's that?

But I'm all ears.

Mark Murphy said...

Awesome!

Daniel said...

Praise the Lawd!

...and pass the ammo!

;)

C.L. Hanson said...

Hey, if it's 2000 years old, it must be true!!!

;-)

Hallq said...

Hey, those guys who wrote the Bible were pretty smart. At a time when few realized the Earth is a sphere, Isaiah mentions the fact that it's a circle! Isn't that amazing!

Daleri said...

Anyone who says there is no hell does not agree with what Jesus very clearly said. That means that people who say there is no hell are not Christians because they do not teach what Christ taught.

Hell is a Christian concept of the justice of God. Speak for justice. Speak the truth. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Speak the truth and you will not go to hell. That also requires that you teach that Jesus is the Lord.

The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

http://mysite.verizon.net/godwithus

CreditDebt said...

Well, I am glad there is no hell. I can go on living as I live now. The worst thing that can happen to me is a phone call from the collection guys:)

Anonymous said...

''Evildoers themselves will be cut off, but those hoping in Jehovah are the ones that will possess the earth."—Psalm 37:9

The upright are the ones that will reside in the earth, and the blameless are the ones that will be left over in it. As regards the wicked, they will be cut off from the very earth; and as for the treacherous, they will be torn away from it."—Proverbs 2:21, 22.

there is no hell! and followers of god does not go into heaven! to all acclaimed christian out there, show me where in the bible says you'll go to hell!

Best Loans said...

If everybody believed there is no hell, then the world will become a hell.

Fearing GOD is the beginning of wisdom, Obeying his words is the ticket to heaven.

Meet you in heaven!