Sunday, October 16, 2005

Dear Senator Kohl

Here's my snail-mail response to the e-mail I got two days ago from the office of one of my senators:
Dear Senator Kohl,

Some time ago, I sent you a message via your website on John McCain’s proposed amendment to prevent torture of prisoners in U.S. custody. I did not expect you to respond personally or even read the message. I only expected to have the letter tallied and to be sent a cookie-cutter response stating your view on the subject.

This did not happen. Instead, two days ago, I got an e-mail with subject line "Re: Anti-torture bill" whose body talked about Hurricane Katrina. Please tell your staffers to use some common sense in answering mail so that this does not happen in the future. I would hope that whichever staffer reads this can give me a response that is at least semi-relevant to my complaint. Anyone who cannot manage such a project is of questionable fitness to be running the country.

Sincerely,
Chris Hallquist
This may be displaying my youthful naivete.

No comments: