Friday, October 07, 2005

Course evalutations

Thwackum & Square makes a good point about dealing with academic freedom:
While I recognize and lament the conditions that give rise to a document like an Academic Bill of Rights, and understand the need for it, I think universities should police these conditions themselves. That's what course evaluations are for. In the last two colleges in which I have taught, course evaluations included questions about the openness of instructors to differing opinions. If a professor receives consistently negative comments on these questions, university administration and the professor's department can and should handle the situation.
The question about openness to differeing opinions is pretty standard. It was on the evaluations for the courses I took via the local college last year as a high school senior, I assume it'll be on the ones here at Madison.

No comments: