Friday, October 07, 2005

Complementary

I think two parts of Randi's commentary this week complement eachother nicely. First, a reader's story:
One day, when I was about 17, I was describing a friend of mine's odd UFO cult beliefs to my mother. After hearing my description, she said: "Then he doesn't believe in God?" "Well, no," I answered. Then she looked at me, somewhat fearful, and asked: "Do you believe in God?" Well, I didn't expect that question. It had never occurred to me that I had a choice in that matter. We never discussed it per se, so even now I wonder how she came up with it. Anyway, after a few seconds reflecting upon it, I had the answer: "No."

Her world seemed to be sundered at that point. I was forever damned, and she had failed to do her duty as a good Catholic. I learned a few years later how she managed to cope with it. You see, according to her, I'm not really an atheist. I still believe in God, but I deny Him in some sort of adolescent rebellion. Rebellion against what? How did she reach that conclusion? That's easy! First, it's obvious that everyone feels the presence of God, so I can't not know about Him. Second, I'm still a moral man, and we all know there can be no morality without God. Never mind the laws of Hammurabi, the Bible was there first!
Then, a link.

No comments: